This five day course suits developers who are making the full conversion to Drupal from .NET, Coldfusion Java or other framework or CMS. This would suit developers who have no prior experience with Drupal, giving them insight into how Drupal works from the ground up.
Part 1 2 Day Site Building
- If your team is new to Drupal, you'll start with a crash course in Drupal configuration and site building with our Drupal in a Day course- with a focus on the developer experience and workflow. You'll learn how to plan and create flexible content types, how to structure your site with custom paths and menus, and how to create dynamic lists of content with Drupal.
- If your team has some experience with Drupal, you'll start by delving into advanced site building with views and other popular contributed modules.
Part 2 - Drupal Layout and theming
Drupal has a variety of approaches to making dynamic layouts, and in this course you will see how to use them, and find the right approach for you. You will learn techniques and best practices for configuring a flexible and extendable layout for your site, then you'll learn how to get more control over the look and feel by creating a custom theme in Drupal.
- Create custom layouts for landing pages on your site.
- Make content appear dynamically based on where you are in the site structure.
- Create a custom theme in Drupal.
- Understand when to configure and when to code.
Part 3 - Drupal Module Development and developer best practices
You will learn how to develop a module step by step. You'll learn how to navigate the extensive documentation available and determine where you can hook into the system and add your new functionality. You will also learn about developer workflow and maintaining your site.
- Understand Drupal's hook system and development architecture
- Insert and extract data using Drupal's core database abstraction layer.
- Responsibly modify contributed modules using patches.
- Employ and articulate best practices, security techniques, conventions and coding standards
Prior experience with programming or a web application framework are assumed. PHP, HTML and CSS assumed.