Drupal Commons: Build a social website
This course provides an overview of Drupal Commons, and how to map your objectives for your online community to configurable features and layout. Hands-on activities to experience how to use Drupal Commons to create your own social media and networking website.
Experience using and building websites using systems such as Wordpress, Joomla!, or good ‘ole handmade HTML and CSS. An understanding of a Content Management System is helpful.
- Articulate the differences between the set of modules in Drupal Commons and a standard Drupal installation.
- Install Drupal Commons (or any other distribution) in the Acquia DAMP stack
- Employ the "out of the box" pre-configured functionality in Drupal Commons such as the various content types or various features such as the Homebox custom user pages.
- Use the social and participation features of Drupal Commons.
- Understand community site configuration and how to extend the functionality for collaboration.
- Promote participation through, User points, Shoutbox, Flagging content, notiﬁcations and messaging systems.
- Manage members with commons-specific groups, permissions, roles and profiles.
- Aggregate and syndicate content through Twitter, and to RSS feeds.
- Use tools such as Context and Panels to create unique layouts depending on user type, or section of the site.
- Configure layout and design through Panels and Skinr.